FIRST Robotics - robots

MOREnet Council Meeting Minutes - June 4, 2013

TIME: 10:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday, June 4, 2013

PLACE: MOREnet Offices
221 N. Stadium Blvd.
Suite 201
Rooms 204-206

Members present: Kevin Palmer, Chair, Gary Allen, Russ Brock, Margaret Conroy, Jacque Cowherd, David Doennig, John Gillispie, Joel Lareau, Waller McGuire, Tim Robyn, Archie Sprengel, Cindy Youngblood

Alternates present: Barbara Reading

MOREnet staff present: Natasha Angell, Lynn Burgan, Chip Byers, Sherry Loyd, Hank Niederhelm, Nikki Witting

Chair Kevin Palmer called the MOREnet Council meeting to order. Those who were in attendance are listed above.

Chair Palmer called for a motion to approve the agenda. All were in favor and it passed unanimously.

ACTION ITEMS/INFORMATION ITEMS

Minutes of the March 11, 2013 MOREnet Council Meetings – Approval

Chair Palmer asked for a motion to approve the draft meeting minutes. All were in favor and it passed unanimously.

Proposed Modification to the MOU – Approval

John Gillispie explained the proposed request to modify the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to a calendar year officer rotation. Chair Palmer asked for a motion to approve the proposed modification to the MOU. Jacque Cowherd moved to approve the MOU modifications of changing the fiscal year rotation to a calendar year rotation starting with the nominations at the June 4, 2013 meeting. David Doennig seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

Election of Officers – Endorsement

Chair Palmer reported that a Nominating Committee had been created and included himself, Archie Sprengel, David Doennig and Paul Mensching. In keeping with the historical rotation among membership groups, the committee nominated David Doennig as the Chair and Jacque Cowherd as the Vice-Chair. Due to the approval of the previous agenda item, both officers will serve through December 2014 (18 months) in order to satisfy the rotation and align with the agreed upon calendar year rotation schedule. Waller McGuire moved to approve the nominating committee’s recommended slate of candidates. Russ Brock seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

FY14 Original Budget – Endorsement

Lynn Burgan reported that the FY14 original operating budget is based on the FY14 member fee schedule and the fee estimates and expected expenses. The revenue over expenses is a projected positive $1,396 for FY14. Chair Palmer asked for a motion to endorse. Margaret Conroy moved to endorse the FY14 original budget as presented. Doennig seconded and it passed unanimously.

Projected FY13 Plant Fund Balance – Endorsement

Burgan reviewed the FY13 Plant Fund (PF) Balance material. Chair Palmer called for a motion to endorse. Cowherd moved to approve the FY13 PF transfer of $800,000. Brock seconded and it passed unanimously.

DISCUSSION/INFORMATION ITEMS

Minimum Operating Reserve – FY14 Assumptions and Estimate – Information

Burgan presented the FY14 Minimum Operating Reserve assumptions and estimate by walking through the general assumption sections, which haven’t changed in the past two years.

Projected FY13 Ending Operating Balance – Information

Burgan went through the FY13 Ending Operating Balance material and reported that since June, three consortium members have taken advantage of the financing pool project resulting is $50,000 financed. The finance charge is 2%.

Optical Equipment Replacement/Upgrade Update – Information

Hank Niederhelm reported that the infrastructure team is installing and testing equipment but power to the facilities has become an issue. If power issues can be resolved, staff should be able to stay on schedule to meet the early July cutover date.

Change in Learning Express Offerings for FY14 – Information

Natasha Angell reported that for FY14, both Full and Basic service members will retain access to the Learning Express job and career resources, thanks to funding by both MOSL and MOREnet. This is a change from what was shared at the March 11, 2013 meeting it was reported that Learning Express Library and its practice tests would only going to be available to Full Service members in FY14 in hopes of growing the Full Service membership. Conroy thanked MOREnet for the policy reversal.

The current cost for all the online resources included with MOREnet Membership Service Package offerings $1.3M and Gillispie stated that the issue will rise again when MOSL doesn’t have the dollars to fund. As the funding stream depletes, membership fees will need to be raised to cover the difference. Gillispie asked the Council to start thinking and talking among their peers to help assist MOREnet on how to move forward should this occur.

Online resource usage statistics can be found at http://www.more.net/content/online-usage-statistics. Angell will have staff include a breakdown by database, as well as by membership group.

Regional Meetings Summary – Information

Angell reported that each of the six regional meetings had approximately 20 members attending who were mainly K12 attendees. It is a great opportunity to push information to the members and to gain member input. Input received will be combined with input from the FY13 Annual Member Satisfaction survey that closed May 23. Chair Palmer reminded staff that the meetings are a good promotional opportunity for new service offerings.

Barbara Reading inquired about the New E-book Options for Libraries webinar. Chip Byers reported that there were approximately 50 attendees, mainly from public libraries, at the webinar last week that resulted in good discussion. Of the attendees a little more than half are interested in the service this next fiscal year with the remaining interested in FY15.

Chair Palmer asked how Moodle is progressing. Byers said the service continues to acquire new members and that staff are receiving requests for Canvas as well. Due to the Online Learning boot camp session not gaining enough interest last year, MOREnet trainers are offering their own training class for teachers to learn the basics of getting started with Moodle.

Byers reported that staff is working to wrap all digital repository components together into a federated identity infrastructure; to include Fedora Commons, Moodle, and Tyler SISK12. Staff is working on a final version. The initial version will not allow objects to be shared across boundaries, but it is goal for future versions.

Investment Project Updates – Information

Byers thanked the Council members for their approval to proceed with the research projects, the subject matter experts for contributing valuable information and to MOSL for their insight in gaining library member involvement. The webinars were well attended by both groups and have resulted in strong inquiries. The projects are not concurrent due to staff resource issues. District proposals are due by June 14 and Library proposals are due by August 1. To date, no proposals have been received. Sprengel added that he has something written up to send to MERC members (higher education) for an investment proposal project for higher education members.

Participation and Future Vision – Discussion

Chair Palmer advised that in order for the Council to remain strong, everyone should be included and feel comfortable being involved. Council representatives need to be more engaged to ensure the consortium has the best program possible. Gillispie added that MOREnet needs guidance from the Council to ensure MOREnet is doing what members want and need. Chair Palmer asked that representatives discuss with peers to generate conversations about MOREnet needs and include MOREnet staff on those emails when appropriate.

Member Reports – Information

K12 Advisory Group – Brock reported that the committee has been accepted by MASA as a standing committee for that organization. The next face to face MKAG meeting will be at the MOREnet Annual Megaconference, October 12-17, 2013 at Tan-Tar-A Resort.

Meeting Schedule

  • August 29, 2013 – 1:00-3:00pm – Audio/TelePresence/Videoconference
  • December 12, 2013 – 10:00-2:00pm – MOREnet Offices

Chair Palmer presented plaques to Russ Brock and Waller McGuire for their service to the Council. Gillispie presented Chair Palmer a plaque for his term as Council Chair.

Meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
Respectfully Submitted by Sherry Loyd