MOREnet Security News Review -- August 18 - 22, 2014
WEEKLY THREAT RESOURCE SITE
KNOW YOUR ENEMY – THREAT ID OF THE WEEK
Rogue Security Software or Rogue Antivirus – Not all Security Software does what it claims. Sometimes the software will appear to be valuable in helping to secure your device but in reality it provides to security benefits at all. Check out the following links to learn more about what it is and how it’s used.
A New Spin on Rogue Antivirus
New twist as rogue antivirus enters death throes
What a fake antivirus attack on a trusted website looks like
Watch out for fake virus alerts
TOP HEADLINES THIS WEEK
Bitcoin Phishing Campaign Targets 400 Organizations
How Anonymous got it right and wrong in Ferguson
7 Places to Check for Signs of a Targeted Attack in Your Network
Part 1: Is your home network unwittingly contributing to NTP DDOS attacks?
Keeping college networks secure
Windows tech support scammers take root in the U.S.
Syrian Hackers Ramp Up RAT Attacks
Study: Most higher ed malware infections attributed to ‘Flashback’
We need to talk about email
Social Engineering Alive and Well
VULNERABILITIES AND PATCHES
How to use Kismet: A free Wi-Fi network-monitoring tool
New Release YARA 3.0
FlowViewer – Web-based netflow data analysis tool
iOS Reverse Engineering Toolkit (iRET) v1.0 Released
4 free tools to boost your security
Php 5.4.32 Released
HOW DO THEY DO THAT?
MyMOREnet – MyMOREnet is a Web-based service provided by MOREnet to allow members to access organization-specific information. User administrators at each organization decide who has access to what information. Click this link for more information.
UPCOMING TRAINING AND EVENTS
- 2014 MOREnet Annual Conference – Monday, October 27 – Thursday, October 30, Columbia, MO – It’s not always about the technology- It’s also about what the technology can do for you. MOREnet’s Annual Conference is a professional development opportunity that allows our members to choose the track that’s right for you. Do you want to mix and match sessions tracks? That’s okay, too! Click this link for more information
FREE ONLINE SECURITY TRAINING
1. SANS Cyber Aces Online Courses
2. Fundamentals of Network Security
3. Introducing the VMware Security Solution Fundamentals
4. OpenLearn network security
5. CISSP Essentials Security School
Do you know of any upcoming security-related training or events? Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in this newsletter.
SECURITY AWARENESS TIP OF THE WEEK
Tired of hearing the reasons your end users use to justify why they avoid security measures? Would you like some ammunition to fire back at them? Check out the following link that has the top 5 excuses for doing nothing about computer security and the information you can use to verify that security really does matter.
5 excuses for doing nothing about computer security!