MOREnet Security News Review -- December 16 - 20, 2013
MOREnet is offering SANS SEC464: Hacker Guard: Security Baseline Training for IT Administrators and Operations with Continuing Education, February 25 – 26, 2014. MOREnet members are eligible for a price of $1200 Minimum registration must be met by December 20, 2013 so enroll today! Click here for registration information.
WEEKLY THREAT RESOURCE SITE
KNOW YOUR ENEMY – THREAT ID OF THE WEEK
Typosquatting – Typosquatting is a form of URL hijacking that relies on the probability that a certain number of individuals will mistype URL addresses. Check out the following links for more information.
What is Typosquatting?
Typosquatting – what happens when you mistype a website name?
Typosquatting in the Anti-virus Marketplace
Is “Typosquatting” Ever OK?
TOP HEADLINES THIS WEEK
Five minute fix: Keeping your kids safe online with parental controls
Target: Hack may have hit 40 million accounts
SANS' Tenth Annual Holiday Hacking Challenge is Now Live!
Using NetFlow Data for More Robust Network Security
Cyber squatters and phishers are winning the battle against antivirus companies
Advanced Power Botnet: Firefox Users, Beware
How to Safely Retire Mobile Devices
Facebook facial recognition matches abused child’s image to aid in arrest
How to trace a stolen MacBook: use Find My Mac to find stolen MacBook
Macbook webcams CAN spy on you – and you simply CAN’T TELL
Using RRL to Prevent DNS Amplification Attacks
VULNERABILITIES AND PATCHES
MAN Service -- MOREnet takes the hassle out of buying, managing and troubleshooting your inter-building network through the MOREnet Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) service. MOREnet extends its traditional Internet connectivity offering by connecting your buildings to a private network within your geographic region to support your enterprise networking needs. Click the following link for more information on features and benefits. http://www.more.net/services/manwan-service
UPCOMING TRAINING AND EVENTS
- Wireshark How-To Series – Personalized Profiles – Tuesday, January 7, 2014 – Online Webinar -- This is the fifth installment of our Wireshark How-To Series. In this webinar we’ll step through customizing Wireshark’s GUI Interface and capture options. We’ll cover the basics of profiles and how to customize Wireshark for specific tasks. Click here to register for this event
- Wireshark How-To Series – Using Wireshark’s Expert System – Tuesday, January 21, 2014 – Online Webinar -- This is the sixth and final installment of our first series of Wireshark How-Tos. In this webinar we’ll step through how to use Wireshark’s Expert System. We’ll cover how to launch Expert Info, colorize Expert Info elements, filter elements, and how to understand what triggers each element. Click here to register for this event
- Introduction to Windows 2008 Server Administration – Tuesday, February 4, – February 5, 2014 – MOREnet, Columbia, MO -- Designed to build a foundation in basic server administration, this class introduces students to many of Windows Server 2008 features. The class includes extensive exercises which reinforce Microsoft Windows Server 2008 network administration skills as they are learned. Click here to register for this event
- Social Media Series Part 1, Risks of Social Media – Wednesday, February 5, 2014 – Online Webinar – Does your staff or students understand the risks they take when posting comments or pictures to social media sites? Join us for a discussion of the unseen risks to innocent posts. Registration information available soon.
- Introduction to Windows 2008 DNS, DHCP and CSVde – Thursday, February 6, 2014 – MOREnet, Columbia, MO -- This course is designed to provide a foundation for understanding both Domain Name System and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Students will install and configure these services for automated IP communications. At the end of the day the students will also use the bulk user import utility CSVde. Students must have taken Intro to Windows 2008 server to attend. Click here to register for this event
- Windows 2008 Group Policy – Friday February 7, 2014 – MOREnet, Columbia, MO -- This class is designed to allow students to centrally manage workstations and servers with Group Policy Objects (GPOs) within a Windows Active Directory domain. In class we will start at the beginning with defining what Group Policy is and what can be accomplished by using Group Policies within your organization. We will create simple group policies and test their effectiveness on a windows 7machine. We will explore some advanced Group Policy subjects such as redirecting user data and folders, deploying software and finish with using Group Policy Preferences to Map Drives and clean out folders. Click here to register for this event
- Social Media Series Part 2, Understanding the Privacy Settings of Popular Social Media Sites– Wednesday February 19, 2014 – Online Webinar. Even if you understand the risks associated with social media, which settings are best and how do you find them on each site? This webinar will focus primarily on Facebook privacy settings, but will include references to many other social media sites. Registration information available soon.
- SANS SEC464: Hacker Guard: Security Baseline Training for IT Administrators and Operations with Continuing Education – Tuesday, February 25 – Wednesday, February 26, 2014, MOREnet, Columbia, MO -- This educational program gives IT admins the tools and techniques to illuminate evidence of potentially malicious activity on their systems and to look deeper to determine whether the problems they see are real. It allows them to become the hacker guards for malicious activity in their organization. It uses hands-on exercises to ensure they are comfortable using the tools. MOREnet members are eligible for a price of $1200. Click here for registration information.
- Social Media Series Part 3, Understanding the Privacy Settings of Popular Devices Media – Wednesday March 5, 2014 – Online Webinar – So your social media websites are locked down, but are all settings enforced the same if the device isn’t secured? Join us for a discussion of device settings to review to protect yourself from social media and other apps. Registration information available soon.
Do you know of any upcoming security-related training events? Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in this newsletter!
SECURITY AWARENESS TIP OF THE WEEK
Doing a lot of shopping online this year? Unsecure or infected websites and data breaches aren’t the only ways you can become a victim…. Have you ever heard of Typosquatting? Check out the links under this weeks’ Threat ID for more information.