Columbia, MO Courthouse

Nov. 17, 2006

MOREnet Council Meeting Minutes

Council Member Attendees: Robert Stein, Chair, Gary Allen, Cheryl Bielema, Margaret Conroy, Jeanie Gordon, Rita Gulstad, Karen Hicklin, Debbie Hughes and Bill Mitchell

Alternates Present: Glenda Hunt, Barbara Reading, Tom Stokes, Deborah Sutton and Jim Tom

MOREnet Staff Present: Dave Byland, Jennifer Doll, Bill Giddings and Sherry Loyd

Public Present: Linda Hammer and Debbie Musselman

MOREnet Council Chair Stein called the MOREnet Council meeting to order. Those who were in attendance are listed above.

ACTION ITEMS

Minutes of the September 21, 2006 MOREnet Council Meeting - Approval

Margaret Conroy moved that the minutes of the September 21, 2006, MOREnet Council meeting be approved as distributed. Cheryl Bielema seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

Mission Statement Revisions - Recommendation

Conroy apologized to the rest of the subcommittee for volunteering and then leaving town. She thanked them for accomplishing the task without her input. After significant discussion it was proposed that the mission statement be changed from:

The MOREnet Council will assist MOREnet in striving for constant investigation and implementation of technology which enables information access and enhances learning.

to:

The MOREnet Council will assist MOREnet in striving for constant investigation, implementation, and assessment of technology which enables effective and efficient access to information that enhances learning and research.

Rita Gulstad moved to accept the proposed changes. Conroy seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

FY07 Council Goals - Recommendation

Chair Stein thanked Conroy, Gulstad, Jeanie Gordon and Deborah Sutton for their work on the Council goals. Gulstad reported that advocacy and futuring were the two consistent topics and there was a vote and consensus among the Council that they would be the two primary goals.

Document changes discussed:

Add "MOREnet" in front of the word Program under Goal I, Strategy 1.

Add verbiage to make clear that advocacy needs to occur throughout the year.

Add budget and merit strategies.

Delete "1) Quality of materials" under Goal I, Strategies, d. Evaluation of Measures.

Add that the Council will participate in a certain number of activities.

Add "of constituents" after task force under Goal II, Strategy 1.

Change Goal II, Strategy 2.b. to read: Include presentations to the council related to futuristic topics…

Add constituent updates and surveys to Goal II, Strategy 2.

Move to a set of goals based on a calendar year schedule for 2007.

MOREnet will put together an inventory of current booth type presences at conferences and send to the Council. Conroy requested that the working group have another month to finalize the draft document. Consensus was that the Council agreed with the goals and wants additional work done on the strategies.

Conroy moved that the suggested changes be incorporated. Glenda Hunt seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

Chair Stein asked that the working group send a draft prior to December 25 and that the Council weigh in so that a final draft can be accomplished prior to January 1. Conroy will ensure the document is complete by January 1.

CONSENT ITEMS

None

DISCUSSION/INFORMATION ITEMS

Network Growth - Information

Dave Byland reviewed the network growth and some possible growth indicators. Bill Giddings explained a table that was handed out showing a list of bandwidth amounts and the number of school districts having that amount. The following upgrades were done by MOREnet on a "need" basis not on a "requested" basis: There were 53 school districts that moved from a T1 - 3 meg connection up at least a one step upgrade. Of these moves a T1 lasted 4 years and 3 months, a 3 meg lasted 2 years and 10 months and the last upgrade, so far, has lasted 1 year and 6 months. These "needed" upgrades are due to a number of issues such as more computers, professional development, etc.

A handout showing responses to a survey on what applications were being used and what were planned to be used was distributed and Giddings gave a quick review.

Byland added that an increase in capacity for the backbone should be in production in January. He also added that MOREnet expects an increase in internet access capacity by April 2007. These are steps that had to be taken in advance of any NGN implementation due to the changes in our total aggregate tail circuit.

NGN Update - Discussion

Mitchell reported that the first phase to bridge us to the future is the backbone increase discussed in the Network Growth item, with a likely upgrade again in 12 months which would represent another interim action prior to the NGN implementation.

CENIC's preliminary report will be reviewed this afternoon in preparation for a November 27 meeting of the University Vice Presidents, Chief Research Officers, Chief Academic Officers, Chief Financial Officers and Chief Information Officers. Following that meeting will be a technical meeting with the CIOs and their technical staff.

The Council decided that special Council meetings in December and January would be necessary to provide sufficient time for members to consider the NGN materials since a decision will be needed at the January meeting. The December Council packet will include information regarding proposed technical and design solutions, and all additional information will be sent to the Council as it becomes available in order to allow maximum review/preparation time for discussion/decision at the January meeting.

Internal meetings are occurring with regards to SURA to allow completion of required site surveys.

CBHE Recommendations, HB3 - Information

Chair Stein reported that the MOREnet recommendations that came through the University to CBHE went through with no changes.

The Higher Education budget request had three components for funding which was a lot of work for the institutions. The institutions approached DHE and requested that more money go into the operating budgets. This would result in $186M in new money being reduced to $110M plus a different distribution model. MOREnet/UM-Related was not affected. There is an additional $25M for Student Financial Aid and they're talking about requesting more in addition to the $25M. There are on-going discussions about spreading the operating budget changes over several years instead of all in one year. The Legislature is asking what they get for this money. Chair Stein is not sure if this will make UM-Related questionable or not. Chair Stein suggests submitting ideas and letting the administration create the plans.

State Library, HB12 - Information

Conroy reported that the Secretary of State is finalizing her budget request. The State Library has requested a new decision item of $150,000 to purchase a specific set of databases from the Gale Discovering Collection. The State Library has received a letter of support from DESE and has gathered some statistics on what DESE is spending separately on the databases. Conroy anticipates the Secretary of State will send that request on to the Governor's office. The State Library is also asking for restoration of $1M in state aid and they are being asked to collaborate with State Archives on a new digitalizing center.

Broke for lunch at 12:10 pm for 30 minutes.

Over lunch the Council viewed a DVD created by Clayton public schools for MOREnet.

Appropriations Strategy

Mitchell reviewed a hand out of MOREnet's appropriations strategy. Mitchell and Ross are trying to set up a meeting to visit with the Governor's Staff together to show unity. Ross's office is working to schedule the visit within the next two weeks. The basic messages regarding funding will be 1) maintain the core budget, 2) increase K-12 connections and internet bandwidth, 3) one-time backbone and internet capacity increase, and 4) a cost to continue through the University on behalf of MOREnet.

Conroy asked for consideration to reference HB12 in the conversations with the Governor and his staff. The request led to a discussion of who should be at the meeting. It was decided that once a meeting date is set, Sherry will contact each of the agency representatives to see who will attend.

There was consensus that until the Governor's State of the State Address, no strategy or message decisions are warranted. With additional Council meetings in December, January and February it was agreed that there will be time to determine how to move forward.

Conroy suggested that MOREnet participate in the Freshman Legislator's Tour. Giddings believes that MOREnet has tried to be added in the past and has been unsuccessful, but will try again. Chair Stein suggested that if anyone has any contacts with those coordinating the tour to share that information.

Program Review of DHE / MOREnet - Information

Chair Stein reported that DHE was asked to submit information to the Joint Legislative Review about MOREnet. MOREnet was chosen because of their ability to provide good, solid data and because they would set a good example. At this time, it is not known how the information is going to be used. He handed out copies of the review which included DHE's cover letter.

MOREnet Good News

Giddings reported on several good news developments.

CALEA Update - Information

Byland reported that there are a lot of unknowns as of yet. Open comment has been requested now through November 20 and then new filing deadline dates are expected. Watch the website as it will be kept up-to-date.

E-rate Update - Information

Byland reported that a funding commitment for several applications equaling approximately $6M has been received. The previously denied 05-06 application is still being actively reviewed. Multiple E-rate workshops scheduled around the state were very well attended. The filing window opened November 14 and will close February 7. The Letter of Agency must be on school or library letterhead and the name must match what DESE or the State Library have on record for them.

CENTRA (eConferencing) Update - Information

Byland reported that Centra has been a MOREnet service for three years with participation continually dropping. Market research done this summer showed the decline due to features Centra is lacking, inability to afford the service, or inability to justify need for the service. There is currently a project underway looking for alternatives and we expect to issue a preliminary announcement to members in the April/May 2007 timeframe. The current service will be maintained at least through January 2008 to accommodate a transitional period.

Calendar Updates

Chair Stein requested that changes to the calendar be highlighted in each meeting packet. He asked that the December and January meetings be added once they're scheduled and that a yearly request for a meeting with the Governor's Staff also be added.

Agency Reports

Tom Stokes reported that the State is in the evaluation process for their NGN. They anticipate an award in early 2007.

Deborah Sutton reminded everyone that January 30 is the Show-Me TechKnowlege Day from 7:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. on the Third floor Rotunda of the Capitol. She also shared that DESE has contracted with the Missouri Counsel Career Education to do an electronic pilot of the online testing for the personal finance competencies that have been added to the high school graduation standards.

Conroy reported that the State Library sent Debbie Musselman to Washington to learn all about E-rate but said that a report has not yet been received.

Chair Stein reiterated from his earlier report about the budget process and the push for more accountability for higher education, a more advanced accountability system, potential revisions to funding formulas long-term, tuition control and performance measures. He also announced that two days prior communication was received from the Governor about an initiative regarding all contracting by state agencies with public colleges and universities to be handled using a standard contract form. There is a possibility there will be a pilot year (year not mentioned) where the state will be using a standard contract to reduce the need to negotiate and review each contract one at a time. Chair Stein understands that there will be some exceptions but they have not been elaborated on. He senses that the contract will be used by all institutions. He will be meeting with Chuck Pryor next week.

Other Business

Sutton reported that DESE is opening some of their Title funds for schools to buy Smart boards. These purchases have to be tied to their school MSIP (Missouri School Improvement Plan) and to their professional training.

Mitchell reported that the FCC announced a proposed rulemaking to have a two-year pilot program funded through the rural health care initiative that will relax rules and create broadband regional rural healthcare networks which connect to Internet2. Existing networks could be enhanced through that service. They are currently looking at $30-60M a year to distribute as part of the program for infrastructure only, not equipment, people, etc. A final order is to be posted within the next 100 days with 30 days following to submit an application. MOREnet is working through the Missouri Telehealth Network to try to get a meeting with Dan Ross and the state agencies, the Rural Healthcare Association as well as other potential players to determine what kind of interest there is in Missouri. Chair Stein asked that Mitchell work with his staff on a response he is doing for the Interdepartmental Coordination Council for Rural Affairs.

Mitchell also reported that MOREnet has been approached to connect the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics Competition in Kansas City to Internet2. FIRST is a multinational non-profit organization, that aspires to transform culture, making science, math, engineering, and technology as cool for kids as sports are today. Two of the series of national competitions are in Kansas City and St. Louis.

Meeting Schedule

  • December 19, 2006
  • January - TBD
  • February 16, 2007
  • April 26, 2007
  • July 12, 2007

Open Time for the Public to Address the Council

Linda Hammer of SBC had no comments other than thanking the Council for letting her attend.

Chair Stein thanked the staff for their hard work and thanked the alternates for attending and asked that they continue to do so.

Gulstad moved to adjourn at 1:45 p.m. Conroy seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Council Meeting Action Items

  • Goals working group to rework goal document and send a draft electronically prior to December 25. The Council is to weigh in so that a final draft can be accomplished prior to January 1.
  • Loyd to contact agency representatives to confirm attendance once a meeting date has been set with the Governor's Staff.
  • Staff to inquire about MOREnet being added to the Freshman Legislator's Tour.
  • Staff to add the December and January meetings and a yearly request for a meeting with the Governor's Staff to the Planning Calendar.
  • Mitchell to work with DHE on Stein's report to the Interdepartmental Coordination Council for Rural Affairs.
  • Loyd to schedule December and January meetings.

Respectively Submitted,
Sherry Loyd