Public Libraries (REAL)
Whether they reside in a large metropolitan area or a small, rural agricultural community, Missouri citizens with tax-supported library service are eligible for MOREnet Internet access through the Remote Electronic Access for Libraries (REAL) Program. REAL provides Missourians the opportunity to use the Internet for research, formal and continuing education, business and recreation at their local libraries.
REAL is sponsored by the State Library, an agency of Missouri's Secretary of State, which also funds the online resources available to all MOREnet members.
New REAL Program Wireless Services!
With mobile devices becoming more and more popular, reliable and efficient wireless “hot spots” are becoming an increasingly important library service. The Missouri State Library is supporting two new opportunities to improve wireless in public libraries as a part of the REAL Program. The services are the Wireless Assessment Survey service and Managed Wireless Pilot.
A library may apply for both services! They could be very complementary to each other depending on the needs of your library.
Wireless Assessment Survey Service
The State Library is offering an opportunity to REAL Program member libraries to receive a wireless assessment survey at no cost to the library. The MOREnet fee for this service is usually $600 plus travel expenses.
Libraries will receive the following services with a Wireless Assessment Survey:
- A MOREnet technician will visit the library and conduct the survey, providing verbal feedback, and offering suggestions to help each member seek the optimal performance from their wireless network.
- MOREnet technicians will also advise on equipment upgrades and improvements that may be needed.
- Upon completion of the survey, a visual heat map will be provided to help determine trouble spots and correct placement of access points.
- A written follow-up summary with findings and recommendations will be provided.
Please go to REAL Wireless Assessment Survey for additional information including the application.
FY13 Window closes April 19, 2013.
Managed Wireless Pilot
MOREnet is exploring managed wireless as a possible service. Managed wireless would allow MOREnet staff to manage the wireless access point on your behalf. To better understand what is required to support Managed Wireless MOREnet is offering a limited pilot opportunity to public library MOREnet Members. This service is funded by the REAL Program.
Libraries will receive the following services with the Managed Wireless Pilot:
- MOREnet will provide Aerohive wireless access point(s).Multiple access points may be provided to one building to ensure appropriate coverage.
- MOREnet staff will manage the access point remotely on behalf of the library based on the needs and requirements of the library.
- Each access point comes with 3 years of licensing for the Aerohive cloud based management software to allow management of the access point from anywhere there is an Internet connection.
The access point and management software allows for the following capabilities:
- Detailed reporting and statistics
- Bandwidth Prioritization
- Allocating Bandwidth limits to users
- Enterprise level security
- Wireless network scheduling
Please go to REAL Managed Wireless Pilot for additional information including the application.