REAL Wireless Assessment Survey
With mobile devices becoming more and more popular, reliable and efficient wireless “hot spots” are becoming an increasingly important library service. Whether troubleshooting existing wireless issues, planning to build, or reconfiguring an existing wireless network, MOREnet technicians can assist by providing members with an on-site wireless survey.
The State Library is offering an opportunity to REAL Program member libraries to receive a Wireless Assessment Survey at no cost to the library. The MOREnet fee for this service is usually $600 plus travel expenses.
The Application Window Closes February 17, 2014.
Libraries will receive the following services with a Wireless Assessment Survey:
- A MOREnet technician will visit the library and conduct the survey, providing verbal feedback, and offering suggestions to help each member seek the optimal performance from their wireless network.
- MOREnet technicians will also advise on equipment upgrades and improvements that may be needed.
- Upon completion of the survey, a visual heat map will be provided to help determine trouble spots and correct placement of access points.
- A written follow-up summary with findings and recommendations will be provided.
Additional information on the service including a sample report is available on the MOREnet Wireless Assessment Survey service page.
A limited number of libraries will be selected. Since there are a limited number of spots available, the State Library will have an application process and will select the participants based on the following priorities:
- Main library buildings
- Libraries not currently offering public access wireless
- Libraries that do not have a full-time staff person dedicated to supporting technology in the library
All applications will be evaluated even if they do not meet any of the above criteria.
- The Missouri State library plans to continue this service in Fiscal Year 2014 with two additional application periods.
- Libraries not selected in the FY13 application window may be considered for the FY14 service period.
The library will be required to do the following to receive the service:
- Submit the application within the application window.
- Upon approval of the application, the library must authorize a quote in MyMOREnet to authorize permission to proceed with the service. The library will be notified via e-mail when the quote has been posted.
- Provide a floor plan of the building before the Wireless Assessment is scheduled. If the floor plan is not provided with-in 30 days of notification of acceptance the spot will be filled by another library.
- Submit an Action Plan and Report within 2 months of receipt of Wireless Assessment Survey report. A copy of the report is available below.
- To be submitted within two months of receipt of Wireless Assessment Survey report.
Please contact Jeanne Sullivan at Jeanne@more.net or (800) 509-6673 with any questions.