MOREnet is offering a network backup service for members to back up mission-critical data to an off-site location. Members will have access to a hosted backup service located in a secure data facility that connects directly into the core MOREnet network.
Features and Benefits
- Mission-critical data will be backed up to a secure, off-site facility, mitigating the risks associated with a local disaster — tornado, fire or just a disk failure.
- Data will be de-duplicated, compressed and encrypted on-site by the backup client, prior to being transmitted to the storage facility.
- Data will be encrypted "in-flight" as it is transmitted to the remote backup service.
- Member data will be logically segregated from other data.
- Only the member will have the decryption key — backup data is visible only to the member. (See Encryption Key Escrow)
- De-duplication and compression will reduce the amount of data being sent to the remote backup site, reducing the time needed to perform a backup.
- De-duplication and compression will typically reduce data by a 2:1 ratio or better, thereby using less disk space and lowering cost.
- Members only pay for the data stored remotely after local de-duplication and compression. Many backup services charge for the total amount of data protected, not the amount stored remotely.
- MOREnet is aggregating all members' storage volume to achieve group rate pricing.
- Subscribers will no longer need to:
- Provide backup systems (tape drives, tapes, backup software, etc.)
- Swap tapes, replace defective tapes
- Transport backup media to an off-site storage location
- Fit the backup into the backup window
- Fit the backup onto the physical media available
- All major operating systems will be supported, including Windows, Linux, Mac OS/X and Novell.
- Members do not need expensive, proprietary equipment.
- Backups may be scheduled during lower bandwidth usage times.
- Backups will be scheduled via a client installed on the local server.
Service Level Options
Enterprise Backup Service
- Local client(s) collect new/changed data, de-duplicate, compress, encrypt and ship to remote server.
- Local backups stored on disk are an option at member's discretion.
- Remote server performs any additional possible de-duplication, ships copy to secondary backup storage.
The backup software client and documentation for all supported platforms and applications may be downloaded from http://archiver.dataedge.com/noc/index.do?verb=softdown
- Desktop and Laptops only. Client Supports Windows Operating Systems
- Data can be backed up using the cloud backup software, but it will not be transferred to the vault and stored only locally
Network Backup Pricing
To estimate the cost of your network backup needs simply enter the amount of storage desired in either GB or TB and click “Estimate Cost.” To see a comparison at different storage levels, enter a new amount of storage desired and click “Estimate Cost” again. A running tally of price comparisons will appear until you “Reset” the calculator. Note: This calculator is for estimation purposes only and actual prices will vary based on actual compression and de-duplication rates.
For help with pricing call Member Relations at (800) 509-6673 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MOREnet members, both connected or non-connected, are eligible for this service. However, members not connected to the MOREnet core network may not experience optimal performance.
Purchasing the Service
Contact MOREnet Technical Support at (800) 509-6673 or email@example.com.
Network Backup Terms and Conditions
- All services are subject to MOREnet Service Policies.
- Available bandwidth to backup storage is not guaranteed and will fluctuate according to usage. Network capacity to backup storage is via two dedicated 1 Gbps connections directly into MOREnet's core network which is shared among all members of the service. MOREnet will monitor the connection and increase bandwidth capacity if MOREnet determines it is warranted.
- Backup storage is located in a secure, hardened facility designed for continuously available services. Planned and unplanned events may prevent backups from being accessible 100% of the time.
- Backups shall be created using current or up-to-date client.
- For members that have not selected the optional Network Backup Installation and Support service subscription level, MOREnet shall not be responsible for the member's inability to create or access backups due to client issues. Member shall be responsible for installing and maintaining appropriate client software to access backups. MOREnet can assist with client issues at the hourly consulting rate.
- For members that have selected the optional Network Backup Installation and Support service subscription level, MOREnet assumes responsibility for members's backup configuration and monitoring and shall be responsible for installing and maintaining appropriate client software to access backups as specified by member. Member shall assist MOREnet in this role by providing administrative-level privileges to the backup server(s) and access to data to be backed up. MOREnet shall not be responsible for backups if member does not provide adequate levels of access or omits informing MOREnet about data to be backed up.
- MOREnet shall not be responsible for member's inability to restore from backups and recommends that restorations are periodically performed to ensure the validity of the backups.
- MOREnet shall not be responsible or held accountable for data loss under any circumstances.
- Backups shall be encrypted using the client's encryption functionality. Member shall not store credit card numbers in backups. MOREnet shall not be responsible for any liability resulting from unauthorized access to backups.
- Restoration of backups requires the appropriate encryption key. If an encryption key is lost, there is no mechanism for key recovery, all data previously backed up with the key will be unrestorable, and affected data will have to be backed up again with a new encryption key.
- For members that have not selected the optional Network Backup Installation and Support service subscription level, member shall be responsible for retaining and protecting their client encryption key(s). MOREnet does not have access to these key(s). Key escrow is available as part of the service.
- For members that have selected the optional Network Backup Installation and Support service subscription level, MOREnet shall be responsible for retaining and protecting client encryption key(s). Key(s) will be shared with member upon request. MOREnet will utilize the key escrow service.
- MOREnet is not authorized nor able to inspect data stored by member and therefore MOREnet shall not be responsible for any illegal data or data that was acquired in an illegal manner. MOREnet informs that it is required to cooperate with any judicial authority that is authorized to inspect the data stored on its servers and provides the legal orders to do so. Any illegal data which may be identified by delegated judicial supervisory authorities shall be removed from MOREnet's servers.