August 5, 2011
Revised: June 15, 2016
Expand upgrade window from three windows per fiscal year to four, starting FY17.
Beginning FY12 the REAL Program will more closely coordinate upgrade requests with the E-rate application window. Libraries will be asked to respond to a survey about future bandwidth needs to be included in the MOREnet E-rate application. They can then submit upgrade requests during four announced periods. Any requests not included in that fiscal years E-rate application will be considered on a case by case basis, and may be deferred to the next upgrade review period. This policy is being implemented to address the need to more closely manage the REAL Program budget for telecommunications costs.
- Library responds to MOREnet survey regarding next fiscal year bandwidth needs.
- Library submits a Connection Information Form and completes the REAL Program Bandwidth Survey to request an upgrade. The forms are located on the Connection Upgrade Process page.
- At the close of each upgrade window (July 31, Oct. 31, Jan. 31, April 30) MOREnet will review all requests.
- The list of requested upgrades will be provided to the Missouri State Library for approval.
- MOREnet will generate quotes for approved upgrades and contact any sites that were denied upgrades. They can apply again in the next window or an exception may be approved by the Missouri State Library.
Priorities for upgrading connections as set by the Missouri State Library:
- Main libraries over branch connections
- Upgrading connection to Ethernet
- Upgrading connections where the libraryâ€™s automation system is accessed over the internet; i.e., a hosted automation system service
- Upgrade of 1.5 MB connections to higher level
- Population served by the connection â€“ larger populations to have preference over smaller