Behind the Chevron: Anissa Lockett
- Published: Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2019
Thoughts on Computer Science Standards From a MOREnet Staffer
As we prepare our students for the future, we are all finding it abundantly clear how important computer science is to their success in not only academic fields, but also in everyday life. As a mother of an engineering student at Mizzou this fall, I can tell you my son, who excels in math and science, is struggling with an introductory computer programming class. He had opportunities at his high school to take classes such as engineering and computer programming at our local career center, but he filled his time with other required classes and electives.As a parent, I look back and wish we had prepared him better by guiding him into more computer science and programming classes. Looking into the future, I am excited to see that the next generation may not have to struggle as much as he has this semester because all of these amazing technology integrations of computer science all many areas of K-12 education.
As we approach Computer Science Standards week this Dec. 9-15, I want to say I am proud to be employed at MOREnet and work with all of you who are looking so closely into what our students need in the years to come. MOREnet has taken great strides to help integrate computer science into our strategic plan. Here are just a few things we have incorporated:
- In 2017, we opened the MOREnet Immersive Learning Lab (MILL) to help introduce and train administrators and teachers on the tools you might use in your classroom to introduce programming, robotics and computer science to students as young as pre-K all the way through high school.
- In 2019, we partnered with DESE to help teachers get the skills they need to prepare them for the Computer Science Performance Standards.
- As we continue to work on educating members about computer science strategies, we are developing online sessions on coding resources.
- We blog on various computer science resources like this recent post.
I value all of you and my fellow MOREnet co-workers, and I know we are doing our best to help this next generation of students, and their future is very bright for it. Thank you for all you do for our kids.
Anissa is our Sr. Communications and Marketing Coordinator. She's usually the person behind the emails that hit your inbox, and she helps ensure you know the value of the products and services available to you through your MOREnet membership. She celebrates her 11th year at MOREnet this month. You can reach her at [email protected].