IT Management of Remote Workers
- Published: Wednesday, March 18, 2020
The ability to work remotely is a huge advantage of our technology today. Many tasks can be accomplished successfully and efficiently through remote access. Studies have shown that remote workers have more job satisfaction and experience less stress. The remote capabilities can save time and money.
The pandemic of the Coronavirus is causing many industries to readjust their work structures. Team meetings and instructions are now taking place virtually. Any nonessential travel is being suspended.
Remote access comes with its share of safety issues. If you are in charge of providing resources to telecommuters, it is important to know the challenges you may face.
Do some basic fact gathering:
- Who will need remote access?
- Where are the resources stored?
- What applications are used?
- What type of devices will be used?
- From where will the users be working?
- What additional tools or software are needed for remote access?
- Do you have a remote access policy?
Construct safeguards so that remote workers can perform their duties:
- Enable secure connections via VPN or other secure means (secure browsers, HTTPS)
- Install video/audio capabilities if necessary
IT Managers need complete control over end user devices and/or access.
- Password controls
- Authentication processes
- File access controls
- Firewall settings
- Enable end-to-end encryption
Putting proper safeguards in place and enabling the user to fully function in their job performance will ensure business continuity.