Getting the Most Out of Cybersecurity Conferences
- Published: Tuesday, June 7, 2022
One of the biggest reasons security professionals attend conferences is to learn from experts in the field about new innovations. Networking and knowledge gathering are huge draws to these events. Conferences are great places to form contacts for possible career placement. The technical challenges that come with transformations and revolutions related to cybersecurity are never ending. The constant confrontations by cyber criminals requires continuous and persistent defensive mechanisms in order to maintain a secure posture.
Security conferences can be expensive, but there are a few out there that are virtual or no cost. Make sure to take advantage of those. Also, look for any community-led groups that may have regular meetings or conferences.
To ensure that you are taking full advantage and getting the most bang out of your conference attendance you should keep this in mind:
- Attend presentations that you might not have as much information or knowledge of. You may learn new concepts.
- Ask questions at the presentations. Don't think that your question does not add value. Chances are there are others in the room that can benefit from the answer.
- Take notes. Take screenshots of key slides, if allowed.
- Get the presenter's contact information. You may want to engage at a later point.
- Network with others. Exchange information such as business cards and social media accounts. Engage with each other as soon as possible in order to show interest and initiative.
- Dress to impress. Your outward image will project your dedication and professionalism.
The opportunities and information provided by security conferences can be priceless. Make sure to get the most value possible by attending and engaging.