If You Connect It, Protect It
- Published: Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2020
This week’s focus for National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM)- If You Connect It, Protect It
All of our devices are linked- to the Internet and to each other. We are connected at home, at work and on the go. There are differing levels of protection associated with a connected world. And that can put us at risk for exposing our personal data or other compromises.
- Keep devices, apps and operating systems up-to-date.
- Many times updates contain security enhancements.
- Do not use public wi-fi for anything that contains personal data.
- That means no shopping or transferring of financial or personal information.
- If you can't use a VPN then wait until you can connect to a secure network.
- Check your privacy settings on your devices, apps and social media.
- If an app wants access to your contacts, location, and/or photos you need to question if that is necessary for the functionality of the application.
Protecting yourself and your devices is YOUR responsibility.