Zoom Admin Portal Update: Action Required
- Published: Monday, Sept. 27, 2021
With phishing schemes on the rise, we often tell our members not to click or log in to messages they weren’t expecting. Because you know the importance of double checking, many of you reached out after getting a note from Zoom regarding a change to the Admin Portal that requires your attention.
The message was, indeed, legitimately from Zoom. Our suggestion is to have the appropriate staff at your school or library review and acknowledge Zoom’s privacy statement. It is important to make sure the appropriate staff is entered as the approver, as this will be a yearly process. We recommend a legal review of the privacy statement before acknowledging. (We will be doing the same.)
All our members are on K-12 licenses; therefore, as an organization that uses licenses we have procured, you do need to document the student age groups using your Zoom licenses. If any students are under 13 years, your organization needs to acknowledge the privacy statement.
This must be completed in the 30-day window or your account will be locked.
As always, if we can provide additional assistance or information, please email us at [email protected].
Zoom's message is reproduced below.
Dear Valued Customer,
We are reaching out to notify you of a change to the Admin Portal that will require your action.
Starting September 19, you will see a new setting within your Admin Portal asking you to identify if your organization uses Zoom products to provide educational services to children under 18, and if so, the age groups to which you provide educational services using Zoom products. Please note that you must either provide this information within your Admin Portal, or confirm that your account is not used to provide educational services to children under the age of 18 by clicking the link below, within 30 days of receipt of this email in order to continue using this Zoom account. As an admin or owner of a Zoom educational account, we ask that you self-identify as an educational organization within your profile to ensure the application of the special data protections for such accounts, which are detailed in Zoom’s Children’s Educational Privacy Statement.
In addition, if your organization provides educational services to children in the United States under the age of 13 using Zoom products, you will be required to review and sign Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices within 30 days of self-identifying as an educational organization in your Admin Portal to continue using this account to access Zoom products. We can only accept signatures from an authorized administrator or teacher, and your organization will be required to re-sign this notice on a yearly basis at renewal. We’ve included a few images below to guide you through this new workflow.
If you believe you have received this email by mistake, we apologize for any inconvenience. Please click the following link to confirm that your account is not used to provide educational services to children under the age of 18. (Ed. Emails from Zoom will include a personalized link that has been deleted here.)
We take privacy seriously at Zoom and this change is a part of our commitment to continuously enhance our platform. We recommend you log into your account and follow the prompts immediately to avoid any disruption of service. If you have any questions or concerns, please refer to our help article or reach out to our Support Team. Thank you for choosing Zoom.
Instructions to comply
To enable or disable the Children's Education Status setting:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin with the privilege to edit account settings.
- In the navigation menu, click Account Management then Account Profile.
- Click the Account Profile tab.
- Under Basic Informaton, click the This account provides educational services to children under the age of 18 toggle to enable or disable it.
- If a verification dialog displays, click Enable or Disable to verify the change.
- Under What age group does the organization provide services for (select all that apply)?, select the check box(es) of the applicable age group(s).
- Click Save.
- In the dialog notification, click Continue.
- In the Add Organization Information box, enter the required organization information.
- Under Your Role in the Organization, select your role.
- If you are an organization in the U.S. that previously selected the Under 13 check box and select Other now, you will need to provide the Name of Superintendent/Principal/Administrator/Teacher who will consent to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices for the organization and their email.
- If you previously selected the 13 to 15 and/or 16 to 17 check box(es) for applicable age groups and select Other now, you will not be required to enter a secondary authorized party.
- Under Your Role in the Organization, select your role.
- Click Add. An email with directions for completing this education account activation will be sent to you or the consenter (see Step 9.1). After you or the recipient of the email provide consent to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices, your organization will be able to use this account.
Note: After adding organization information, users who selected the 13 to 15 and/or 16 to 17 check box(es) can use their account and do not need to e-sign Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices.
- (Optional) If you need to change the recipient who will consent to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices, click Change Recipient.
- Under Change Recipient, provide the Name of Superintendent/Principal/Administrator/Teacher who will consent to educational data collection for the organization and their email.
- Click Change. An email with directions for completing the education account activation process will be sent to the consenter. After the recipient of the email has provided consent to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices, your organization may use this account.
Last Updated: September 22, 2021