MOREnet is offering a virtual server service for members to host services outside their networks ("in the cloud"). Subscribers can run many of their existing services on a remotely located server, avoiding the cost of buying and upgrading servers and increasing their server resources with a single phone call. Subscribers will have access to a virtual server environment located in a secure data facility that connects directly into the core MOREnet network. MOREnet will provide access to the virtual server control console for the subscriber to maintain their virtual server. Alternatively, MOREnet can manage the operating system of the subscriber's virtual server.
Features and Benefits
- The virtual server environment is run by MOREnet for MOREnet and its membership.
- The virtual server environment is located in a secure, hardened data center in Missouri.
- The virtual server environment is designed with redundancies in all components, eliminating single points of failure.
- A virtual server costs 5 - 33 percent of an equivalent, dedicated physical server.
- MOREnet maintains the server environment, upgrading hardware as necessary.
- Subscribers can quickly establish new servers or add more resources with a single phone call or e-mail.
- MOREnet can maintain the subscriber's virtual operating system with updates and security patches.
Service Level Options
- Flat Rate, billed annually:
- Micro: 1 virtual CPU, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB disk; $259.99/year ($21.67/month)
- Mini: 1 virtual CPU, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB disk; $349.99/year ($29.17/month)
- Small: 1 virtual CPU, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB disk; $499.99/year ($41.67/month)
- Medium: 1 virtual CPU, 2 GB RAM, 40 GB disk; $699.99/year ($58.33/month)
- Large: 2 virtual CPUs, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB disk; $1499.99/year ($125.00/month)
- Virtual Server Add-ons
- Additional CPU: $180/virtual CPU/year
- Additional memory: $24/GB/year
- Additional disk space: $6/GB/year
MOREnet members and non-members are eligible for this service. However, members not connected to the MOREnet core network may not experience optimal performance.
Virtual Servers Terms and Conditions
- All services are subject to MOREnet Service Policies.
- MOREnet is not liable to any party for any direct, indirect, special or consequential damages resulting from any use of this service or any outage, planned or unplanned, of this service.
- Virtual Machines may not be used for illegal purposes.
- Virtual Machines may be shut down by MOREnet if they are identified as origins of attacks, spam, malware or copyrighted or illegal content.
- Virtual Machines may be shut down by MOREnet if they are behaving in a way that puts other VMs or the environment at a whole at risk (excessive CPU, RAM, disk or network use; thrashing; repeated reboots, etc.).
- Please see additional Microsoft Terms and Conditions.
Microsoft Terms and Conditions
MOREnet’s Virtual Server Service is licensed under Microsoft Service Provider License Agreement. All Microsoft software, including the operating system, will be leased per month or year from MOREnet. Members are allowed to use their previously purchased Microsoft application software only if the member has purchased "Software Assurance" from Microsoft and will assign usage rights to MOREnet.
Clarifications on Academic versus Corporate members:
- Educational Institutions:
A public or private K-12, vocational school, correspondence school, junior college, college, university or scientific or technical school that is either institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency nationally recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or, in the case of public K-12 institutions only, recognized or approved by the Department of Education of the state in which it is located.
- Administrative Offices or Boards of Education:
Defined as (a) district, regional and state administrative offices of public educational institutions; (b) administrative entities organized and operated exclusively for the administration of private educational institutions; or (c) other state or local government entities nearly all of whose activities consist of administrative support, of a nature that advances academic learning, for public educational institutions.
- Public Libraries:
Must meet all of the following criteria: (i) primarily provide general library services without charge to all residents of a given community, district or region; (ii) supported by public or private funds; (iii) make its basic collections and basic services available to the population of its legal service area without charges to individual users, but may impose charges on users outside its legal service area; and (iv) may or may not provide products and services, beyond its basic services, to the public at large with or without individual charges.
- Public Museums:
Must meet all the following criteria: (i) are a public or private agency or institution organized on a permanent basis for essentially education or aesthetic purposes; (ii) utilize a professional staff; and (iii) own or utilize tangible objects, care for them and exhibit them to the public on a regular basis.
- Special note regarding hospitals, healthcare systems and research laboratories:
Hospitals, healthcare systems and research laboratories (including independent research laboratories or research laboratories affiliated with the Department of Defense or the Department of Energy) are NOT eligible to acquire AE products unless they are wholly owned and operated by a qualified educational institution as defined above in sections A and B. "Wholly owned and operated" means that the educational institution is the sole owner of said hospital, healthcare system or research laboratory and the only entity exercising control over the said institution's day-to-day operations. Additional information on determining if an entity is wholly owned and operated by an educational institution can be found at www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=Eligible. Note that hospitals, healthcare systems and research laboratories are NOT eligible to purchase School Agreement and are not eligible to be included as part of an educational institution’s School Agreement even if they are wholly owned and operated by the educational institution.
- Educational Institutions:
- Corporate: All other member types.
Accessing the Service
To purchase MOREnet's Virtual Servers solution:
- Contact your Member Services Advisor to purchase this service. They will access your needs and build a custom quote for your organization.
- The billing process will begin automatically upon receipt of the approved electronic quote. The service will be prorated by the month of entry for orders received after the start of the fiscal year.
- MOREnet will process your subscription upon receipt of the approved electronic quote or purchase order and will contact you with your account information.
Virtual Servers Pricing
|Micro: 1 virtual CPU, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB disk||$259.99|
|Mini: 1 virtual CPU, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB disk||$349.99|
|Small: 1 virtual CPU, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB disk||$499.99|
|Medium: 1 virtual CPU, 2 GB RAM, 40 GB disk||$699.99|
|Large: 2 virtual CPUs, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB disk||$1499.99|
Virtual Server Add-ons, billed annually
|Additional CPU||$180 per virtual CPU|
|Additional memory||$24 per GB|
|Additional disk space||$6 per GB|
|Managed Server Service add on: operating system administration management||$3,000 per server|
|Microsoft Windows Server Operating System||Academic members: $72||Corporate members: $240|
Please contact MOREnet for pricing on Microsoft software not included above.
Note: Open source software provided by the member may be installed at no additional cost.
Service cancellations must be received by June 1 to avoid being charged for an additional year. There are no refunds available for this service.
For more information about, or to subscribe to MOREnet's Virtual Servers service, contact MOREnet Technical Support at (573) 884-7200 or by e-mail to email@example.com.