Missouri Cybersecurity Challenge
Experts predict there will be a global shortage of 1.8 million cybersecurity professionals by 2022. To do our part to address the cybersecurity talent shortage, we have once again partnered with the Missouri Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (MCCOE) and Cyber.org to develop the Missouri High School Cybersecurity Challenge.
Whether or not you're interested in having students compete, interested schools can still take full advantage of the educational resources for your students from Cyber.org. All of the material is presented to be used in either a traditional or a virtual classroom.
Lessons learned will include networking, programming and operating system security. Teams consist of three high school students and one adult sponsor. Thanks to our partnership with DESE, participation is free to all Missouri high schools.
The Missouri High School Cybersecurity Challenge is a two-round challenge designed for Missouri high school students. Students will work in teams of three to solve a variety of cybersecurity challenges. Round one is an online, capture the flag (CTF) event that tests students' problem-solving skills, research abilities and understanding of cybersecurity concepts. The top 10 teams advance to the finals where students will use real-world security tools in a virtual environment made up of Windows machines, Linux machines and servers.
Students interested in participating in the Challenge should understand concepts around security and computer networks. Regardless of skill level, the Cybersecurity Challenge is an opportunity to learn new skills and concepts while working in a safe environment.
The following teams will be invited to Columbia on Feb. 21, 2023, to compete in the finals as part of the MOREnet Technical Training Summit. During the finals the students will solve cybersecurity challenges in CYBER.org’s Cyber Range.
- CyberPoo2 – Springfield
- Variable-X – Fort Zumwalt
- ECC2 – Eldon
- Rogue AP – Willow Springs
- Syber Simon – Wentzville
- SuDoers – Lee’s Summit
- Cyber Sentinels – Fort Zumwalt
- 417 I'm a Teapot – Springfield
- Manchester United – Wentzville
- 15-1430 – Lee’s Summit
- DragonFyre – Mexico
- Mustangs 2 – McDonald County
|Feb. 21, 2023||Finals in Columbia.|
- First place – Little Hog Champs -Eldon High School
- Second place – 414, I’m a Teapot - Kickapoo High School
- Third place – A Smart Dream with a Pinch of Cybersecurity - South Technical High School
- First place – The Derp Wagon - Eldon High School
- Second place - Coderunners - Willow Springs High School
- Third place - Renegades - Summit Technology Academy
- First Place – Vianney 1 - Vianney High School
- Second Place – Renegades - Summit Technology Academy
- Third Place – MID - Summit Technology Academy
Email Andy, our program manager, for questions about the contest.
Email Kathy, a member of our Cybersecurity Operations Team, for specific cybersecurity questions.